Sunday 9 December 2012

Apple Muffins


From Le Cordon Bleu Home Collection: Muffins, Murdoch Books, 2007.

When I consider cake-like foods I think I prefer muffins to cakes. I guess it’s because they are generally less sweet.

These muffins had a mix of flours to begin: 225g self-raising, 150g plain, with a teaspoon and a half of baking powder. I measured them all and then added 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg and 3 tablespoons caster sugar. The lot was then sifted.


I beat 2 eggs into 170ml milk. I stirred 3 tablespoons honey with 155g butter in a saucepan over a medium heat until they were combined.

I peeled, cored and then chopped 4 granny smith apples (they were quite small).


All was now ready for the big combine. Into the flour went all of these ingredients, all at once, and then they were stirred until just combined. They went into a previously oiled 12-hole muffin tin. I sprinkled a mix of caster of sugar and ground cinnamon over the top. Twenty minutes in a 200ªC oven saw them cooked.

Muffins always go down well and these were especially good with pieces of juicy apple, still with the slightest bite in them. I think I’ll go and have another one right now as it’s afternoon tea time.

The book was a gift a few years back and has seen a bit of wear since then as the recipes are all well worthwhile making.

Taste: ✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment