Tuesday 24 September 2013

Goat’s Cheese and Mango


From The Accidental Vegetarian, Simon Rimmer, Mitchell Beazley, 2010.
I was intrigued by this recipe when I read it for it seemed to be an unusual mix. Now I am pleased I tried it.

To begin, I took a 7cm biscuit cutter and cut circles from slices of bread. These were brushed with a little oil and went into the oven to dry a little but not to brown.
I chopped a red chilli and some mint leaves finely. I roasted some sesame seeds and mixed them with the mint and chilli.
I pulped some tinned mango and mixed it with a pinch of salt and a touch of white wine.

I sliced some goat’s cheese and moulded it into rounds a little smaller than the bread rounds. I warmed a little honey and brushed it over the goat’s cheese rounds. These were then dipped, honey side down, into the chilli/mint/sesame seed mixture. They were placed on the bread rounds and put into the oven to heat until the cheese had softened.
To serve a smear of mango pulp went on each plate. Some rocket leaves were placed on this and it was all topped with the bread and goat’s cheese rounds.
I was well pleased with this. The flavours were varied and went together far better than I had anticipated. Peppery rocket over sweet mango and topped with tangy goat’s cheese—really tasty.
Taste: ✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔ 

No comments:

Post a Comment