Tuesday 29 March 2011

Spinach and Ricotta Roll

Still continuing with my cooking binge. So far, though the process has been pleasing resulting in a lot of good things to eat, nothing has stood out yet as something that I would want to add to my repeat list. Until this spinach and ricotta roll. This one I would go back to at another time.

Rullo di Spinaci e Ricotta
from The Vegeterranean: Italian Vegetarian Cooking, Malu Simões & Albert Musacchio, Simon & Schuster, 2008.

I hesitated before taking this recipe up. The idea of rolling a filling in pastry was a little daunting. However, once begun this was a buzz to make.

The filling was easily and quickly done. The pastry that seemed as though it was not going to come together did so easily. And then it had to be thrown forcefully onto the bench top 20 times. I enjoyed doing this so much that it received a few more than the nominated number of times.

This turned out to be a truly tasty dish. The spinach flavour came through strongly and the seasoning was just right. One worth repeating.


Taste: ✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔








Broad Beans with Creamy Basil Sauce
Carrots and Dill
from Sarah Brown’s Vegetarian Cookery, Hutchinson Australia, 1989

Prepared these vegetable dishes to accompany the spinach and ricotta roll.

The beans with a white sauce with mustard and basil was pleasant. I didn’t peel the beans as I actually like them with the tough skins on.



The carrots were not so good. Cooked with onions in a Vegemite flavoured water they lacked something.


Taste: ✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔









As some of these books may be out of print if anyone would like a particular recipe, email me (alfcooksvegetarian@ozemail.com.au) and I’ll send an abbreviated version. Of couse, the whole book would be better; it’s loaded with other goodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment