Monday 18 April 2011

Greek Pie


Rustic Greek Pie
from Commonsense Vegetarian, Murdoch Books, 2011.

There was some home made pastry in the fridge waiting to be used up so I went looking for a pie to make. The Commonsense Vegetarian seems to hold a large selection of recipes for interesting home type meals with a modern influence and it was in here that I found the instructions for a rustic Greek pie.

The recipe called for a sheet of thawed short pastry. It was the shape of the pastry that, to some extent, dictated the shape of the pie. Having the home made pastry I decided to go my own way with the shape and make it in a flan case.

From here it was easy. Smooth down a layer of spinach. Sprinkle the chopped garlic on top of this. Then the haloumi and feta cheeses. Pour in the egg and cream mix and bake it.

It turned out not too bad at all. I wish I had seasoned the spinach but had thought that the cheeses were sufficiently salty. Apart from the lack of a little seasoning the pie was very enjoyable. Spinach and feta always work well together.

Slices of the pie were welcome eating as snacks  for a couple of days.

I look forward to returning to this book for it holds a lot of promising looking recipes.

Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment