Saturday 15 December 2012

Avocado Soup


From All Colour Vegetarian Cookery, Ruth Kimber, The Warwick Press, 1978.

Food is so at the mercy of fads and fashionable trends that I find myself wanting to retreat from falling in with the trending mob and returning to my older cookbooks to see what they have to offer. And I am totally enjoying investigating past favourites.

Flipping through the pages of this well worn book revealed many treasures that would pass easily today, though they lack some of the currently favoured ingredients.

This soup was such a simple one to put together I am surprised that it is not more popular. 250ml of stock was placed on the stove to heat up and into it went 1½ avocados cut into pieces. I then added about ¼ cup of cream, ½ cup of yoghurt and ¼ cup of white wine. Salt and white pepper were added and a stick blender was used to puree it all.


The recipe did not state whether the soup was to be eaten cold or hot. I went part way and just warmed it up a little. The remaining avocado was sliced and added to the soup when it was served.

The soup was rich and thick. A little went a long way. I think it could easily have been thinned a little but I left it as it was. The real test for soup, of course, is to eat it the next day—which I did and had it with a sourdough bread. It passed the test perfectly.

Taste: ✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment