Thursday 18 April 2013

Grilled Haloumi and Asparagus


From Vegetarian Bible, Margaret Barca, Penguin Books, 2008.

Before I began the main part of this meal I made a salsa verde. I took half a cup of chopped parsley and the same amount of chopped basil. I put these in a blender and gave them a churn with a peeled garlic clove. I placed the contents in a bowl and added some capers, zest and juice of half a lime and salt and pepper. I now beat in olive oil until I had a consistency that felt right. It now was put aside until the rest of the meal was made.


I took a bunch of asparagus (they seem to be getting smaller and smaller bunches now at the shops) and brushed them with olive oil. They then went onto the grill for a few minutes, turning them often, until cooked.

When the asparagus was close to ready I placed the haloumi slices in an oiled pan and cooked them on each side until just browned, any longer and they would have become a little too firm.

The asparagus was served with the haloumi and the salsa verde. This made a very enjoyable light meal, especially when served with a bowl of soup as we had it. Another successful dish from Vegetarian Bible.


Taste: ✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment