Wednesday 17 April 2013

Honey and Mustard Pumpkin Soup


From Vegetarian Bible, Margaret Barca, Penguin Books, 2008.

To make this soup I fried a chopped onion in a large saucepan until it had softened. I then added a teaspoon ground cumin and stirred it around for a minute or two. I now added a half butternut pumpkin, peeled and cut into pieces. I poured in 4 cups of vegetable stock and brought it all to the boil, then reduced it to a simmer for half an hour. I now used a stick blender to puree the soup. I brought the soup back to a simmer and let it continue until it had reached the consistency that I wanted.


The soup now waited until serving time when a tablespoon honey and a tablespoon Dijon mustard were added and stirred in. It was tasted and seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

The soup was served with a dollop of yoghurt with cumin sprinkled over the top.

Pumpkin soup is always acceptable. The sweetness of the butternut pumpkin was increased slightly with the addition of the honey but then modified by the sharpness of the mustard. A pleasant soup from a recipe book that I always enjoy using.

Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment