Wednesday 18 December 2013

Bean and Pasta Stew


From The Best of Vegetarian Cooking: Pasta Dishes, Janet Hunt, Thorsons Publishers, 1982.
Sometimes I really don’t know why I choose what I do to cook. I think occasionally it’s no more than tiredness, inability to choose, so whatever comes to hand will do. Sometimes this works and you are pleasantly surprised; other times you know you should have thought a little more about what you were doing. This, I think, was one of those moments where a little more thought might have been better employed. The day was hot and I ended up with a thick, comforting cold weather stew.


I chopped a carrot and an onion. I cut up a leek into pieces. I cut a peeled potato into cubes. These all went into a saucepan with some heated oil and were cooked for a few minutes.
I now cut a few fresh herbs from the garden (thyme, rosemary and chervil) and chopped them (about a tablespoon). These were added to the vegetables with 300ml water and about 2 tablespoons tomato sauce.. They were brought to the boil and simmered for about 10 minutes.

I now added about 2 handfuls of orecchiette pasta and roughly the same amount of cooked cannellini beans. The cooking now continued for another 10 minutes. It was tasted and salt and pepper added. It was now ready to eat.
This was a satisfying meal, easily made—though on the wrong night.
Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment