Monday 9 December 2013

Spinach and Cannellini Beans


From Best-Ever Vegetable Cookbook, Hermes House, 2002.
Feeling in the mood for greens and not having had many for a few days I set out to make this dish.
I began by brushing a slice of bread with olive oil on both sides. It was then fried until crisp and golden.  This was now broken up and placed in a blender with a peeled garlic clove. It was processed until grainy.

I peeled 3 tomatoes and chopped them. I chopped an onion and sautéed it until it was soft and then added the chopped tomatoes. The heat was turned to low and I let them cook on this heat while I prepared the other ingredients.
I heated up some olive oil in a large frying pan, stirred in a pinch of paprika and then added a goodly amount of baby spinach leaves. They were stirred around a little and a lid added until they had wilted. The onions and tomatoes were now poured in, stirred and the heat turned to low.
A tin of cannellini beans was drained, rinsed and added together with the bread mixture.  A little water was added and the ingredients were all stirred until well mixed.  It was now cooked on low for about 15 minutes when it was ready to be served.
Normally I would not have considered adding bread to a dish like this but I was pleased with the result. I had initially thought that it would add some crunch to it but with the added cooking time it had thickened the dish and, of course, added to the flavour. A tasty and satisfying way to serve some green.
Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment