Monday 27 February 2012

Pepper Water


From Quick Vegetarian Dishes, Kurma Dasa, Chakra Press, 2000.

I was tempted to try this dish by the fact that it was mentioned that it served as a digestive—and I also enjoy peppery dishes.



The first task was to soak tamarind pulp to extract the tangy sour pulp. This was placed in a saucepan with ground black pepper, ground cumin and coriander leaves. Water was added and a little salt. This was simmered for 10 minutes.

While this was happening, some black mustard seeds were fried until they popped. Curry leaves were torn and added. When they had curled, a touch of asafoetida powder was sprinkled in and cooked for a few seconds.

The fried mixture was poured into the simmering broth and it was ready.



I didn’t enjoy it. While I did finish a small cup of the pepper water it had to be managed in very small sips over a meal. I tried a little of what remained (quite a bit) the next day to make sure. I still didn’t enjoy it and threw it out.

Taste:  
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment