Monday 20 August 2012

Kohlrabi Soup


From Jane Grigson’s Vegetable Book, Jane Grigson, Penguin, 1980.

Whenever I’m at a loss for what to do with some vegetables I turn to Jane Grigson. I had two kohlrabi on hand so it seemed that a soup would be the answer.



The two vegetables (about 500 g) were peeled, halved and sliced thinly. In a saucepan I heated two tablespoons of cooking oil to a reasonably high heat and then sprinkled in one tablespoon of sugar. I stirred this until the sugar had turned a light brown colour, then dropped in the kohlrabi pieces and stirred them until they were coated. The heat was turned down, the saucepan was lidded and the vegetables were cooked for about 15 minutes.

One tablespoon of flour was now sprinkled on and stirred into the vegetables. I added a couple of cups of water, half a stock cube and salt and pepper. This was brought to the boil and simmered for another 10 minutes. The mixture was now pureed with a stick blender, tasted for seasoning and it was ready. Chopped parsley was added before serving.

The soup turned out to be a little too sweet for my taste.  I had eaten the non-soup version of this as a vegetable side dish (Elisabeth Bond’s Kohlrabi) and it had worked quite well, but increased in liquid volume to make a soup it was not so successful.

Taste: ✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment