Thursday 2 August 2012

Quick Tomato Macaroni Cheese


From Jamie’s Dinners, Jamie Oliver, Penguin Books, 2006.

I was having the family for dinner and some of the younger members are a little particular about what they eat. So I decided that perhaps a macaroni cheese might do the trick. I decided to try out this one by Jamie Oliver. It had tomatoes in it that I thought might not be quite right for those I was making it for so decided to cut back on that ingredient.

It was all very easy to make. The macaroni had to be put on to cook and while that was happening the sauce had to be made.

The sauce was made by adding the ingredients to the food processor and blending them until they were smooth. I only added two tomatoes rather than the quantity suggested, along with a garlic clove, some fresh basil, and a few chopped sun-dried tomatoes. I did not put in the anchovies. When it was blended I tasted it and added salt, quite necessary, and a couple of grindings of black pepper.



Next were added grated Parmesan cheese, fresh cream, a little red wine vinegar and a pinch of grated nutmeg. It was given another burst in the blender and it was ready.

The macaroni was now also ready so it was placed in a casserole and the sauce poured over it. I added a little of the cooking water as it seemed to need a little more liquid. Over the top of this went pieces of mozzarella, a little more Parmesan and breadcrumbs. A drizzle of olive oil went over the top and it went into the oven.



At the same time as I was making the casserole I put macaroni cheese into two individual casseroles for the family members coming the next day.

I was happy with this macaroni cheese. It was gooey, tasty and filling. Next time I make it I would like to try it with the full amount of tomatoes. As it was it had plenty of flavour but it could have done with more cheese in the sauce. This would have been made up for by the extra tomatoes that I didn’t include.

Taste: ✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment