Wednesday 16 January 2013

No-Rice Nori Sushi


From Vegetarian Supercook, Rose Elliot, Hamlyn, 2006.

I was not too sure about making sushi without rice. It seemed to me that they couldn’t be sushi without the rice but I thought at least I could give it a go.


I grated 200g daikon and squeezed it as dry as I could get it. I then mixed in one teaspoon rice vinegar and a pinch of sugar. It was then seasoned with salt and black pepper.

I laid out a sheet of nori seaweed and spread the daikon over it leaving about a centimetre at the far end. On the closest end I laid out strips of roast red capsicum, cucumber and avocado. I then tried to roll it up and failed as the nori collapsed. I laid out another sheet and placed the clumsy first roll onto this and rolled it up. This was better. I wrapped it in cling film and placed it in the refrigerator until I needed it.

At serving time it was cut into four pieces and served with some wasabi paste, some soya sauce and a little pickled ginger.

I prefer rice sushi.

Taste: ✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment