Thursday 17 January 2013

Rice Noodles with Ginger and Sweet Chilli Vegetables


From Commonsense Vegetarian, Murdoch Books, 2011.

Still working at mastering Asian flavours, I chose this to make.


An onion was cut into thin slices and cooked with a little finely sliced ginger in a mixture of cooking oil and sesame oil. When they had softened, in went a sliced red capsicum, some halved baby sweet corn, sliced shiitake mushrooms, a handful of snow peas and sliced Chinese broccoli. This was stir-fried until it had softened and become shiny.


I then added thick rice noodles carefully separated in some warm water. My separation wasn’t too well done and much of it was broken up. Nevertheless it was carefully stirred into the vegetables. I also added a handful of Thai basil leaves.

A sauce was then added. This was made with a mixture of sweet chilli sauce, light and dark soy sauce and a tablespoon of lime juice. It was all mixed together and the dish was ready.

I didn’t really enjoy this. It was a good enough vegetable mix and the sauce reasonably tasty but I didn’t feel that it was quite right. The instructions called for a moderately hot pan to cook with. I have been told that perhaps I should have used the top heat to cook it all much quicker to gain a better result.

Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment