Tuesday 19 February 2013

Cannellini Beans with Basil and Tomato Sauce


From The Vegan Diet, David Scott and Claire Golding, Rider, 1985.
This recipe originally was for butterbeans but I had cannellini in the pantry so decided to use those. I had just 100g left so after pre-soaking I put them in a saucepan and cooked them until done. They took roughly an hour.

While the beans were cooking I fried a chopped onion, a chopped garlic clove and a tablespoon of chopped basil until the onion was soft. I then added three peeled and chopped tomatoes with a little water. The recipe called for a can of tomatoes but I had fresh on hand. I also added a tablespoon of tomato sauce and a small piece of dulce seaweed chopped finely. These were cooked for about 5 minutes and then I added a teaspoon of miso dissolved in a little of the water from the pan. I took it off the heat and tasted for seasoning. I added about a teaspoon of soya sauce and a sprinkling of salt and pepper.
When the beans were cooked they were drained and the tomato mixture was stirred in. A sprinkling of chopped parsley and it was ready.
This was used as an accompanying vegetable to go with cheese sausages and it worked well in this capacity.

Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment