Saturday 14 May 2011

Slow-Cooked Onion and Cider Soup


Slow-Cooked Onion and Cider Soup with Fontina Croutes
from New Vegetarian Kitchen, Nicola Graimes, Duncan Baird Publishers, 2011.

I have cooked a few meals from this book before. They have usually turned out to be satisfactory ones. It was well worth another try.

The book is organised under cooking techniques rather than types of meals. This recipe was found under the technique of simmering.

I do find this way of arranging recipes is rather an unsatisfactory one. Under each technique you will find appetisers, main meals and sweets. They are not listed as such though if you work through a particular technique you will find that they run from first course to last throughout the section.

I do enjoy a good onion soup so I was interested to see just what difference the slow cooking would make to this one, and what the addition of cider would do to its flavour.



There was nothing particularly difficult about cooking this. It was all straightforward but I was somewhat surprised to find that the slow cooking only took an hour. I expected longer.

It was a satisfying soup though not the best onion soup I have had. It had a slight sweetness to it from the cider but not enough to make a great difference.

Taste: ✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment