Friday 11 November 2011

Sweet Buns


Sweet Tahini Spirals
from Turkey recipes and tales from the road, Leanne Kitchen, Murdoch Books, 2011.

These were such a lot of fun to make—and fun to eat.



The dough was a yeast dough and for once I was successful with the use of yeast. Perhaps I’m starting to get the hang of it.

Once the dough had risen and was ready to use it was divided into balls. These were rolled into circles that had a tahini mixture spread on it. The mixture was made by combining tahini, caster sugar and a little egg to make a kind of paste. I unfortunately used a little too much egg and the mixture was a bit too liquid. I still used it anyway. Next time (and I feel sure I’ll make these again) I’ll add the egg bit by bit until I find a better consistency.



The paste-spread circles were then rolled up into tubular shapes that were rolled and rolled until they became quite long. These were then rolled up in a spiral fashion to become the bun shape.

They were given an egg wash and sprinkled with sesame seeds and baked. Loved the result.



The breads and pastries in this book of Turkish cooking all look very interesting to me and as soon as I find time I’m going to investigate them further.

Taste: ✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔ 

No comments:

Post a Comment