Thursday 12 January 2012

Watercourse Foods Tempeh Burgers


From Veggie Burgers Every Which Way, Lukas Volger, Wakefield Press, 2010.

I wanted something to go with a vegetable dish so decided that hamburgers without the buns might just do the trick. I turned to Veggie Burgers Every Which Way because I’ve enjoyed burgers from it before.



Watercourse Foods is apparently a restaurant in Denver and this is one of their favoured burgers so this should work.

A little wild rice had to be precooked before getting on with the main job.

Vegetables were then fried (onion, celery, carrot and capsicum). Then flavourings were added (garlic, parsley, cumin, onion and garlic powder, ground fennel and seasoning—a bit of a mix). After this, the main ingredient of tempeh was broken up and added to be fried with this mix a little longer. Then some more ingredients: lemon juice, soy and vinegar. I left out two ingredients; I do not use liquid smoke or Worcester sauce so I substituted other flavourings. This was cooked until it became drier. Again more ingredients to be added: the wild rice and arame (which I was unable to find in the shops and I don’t really enjoy seaweed anyway).



The mix was not finished yet. Half of it had to be pureed. Then chickpea flour was added and the mix, at last, was able to be made into patties and baked.

There was a heap of ingredients in these burgers and I’m not sure that it was totally worth it. Of course, I left out the arame and had to make a couple of small substitutions so can’t totally blame the recipe. I just felt that it was a bit on the dry side and possibly could have done with less chickpea flour because that seemed to dominate too much for my liking.

Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment