Thursday 5 July 2012

Couscous Patties


From Commonsense Vegetarian, Murdoch Books, 2011.

I had not used couscous as the basis for patties so decided to try out this recipe to see how it worked.

A cup of couscous was placed in a bowl and  a cup of boiling water was added. It was covered and left to wait for about 10 minutes for the water to be absorbed. This left time to cook the vegetables.



The vegetables were all cooked separately one batch after another in the frying pan. I think, should I make this again, I’ll put them all in together starting with the onions that I feel need a little longer. Anyway, the vegetables were fried one by one in the following order: an eggplant diced; an onion chopped together with a chopped garlic clove and some ground cumin and ground coriander; a diced red capsicum.

Once they were all done the vegetables were combined with the couscous, salt and pepper, chopped coriander, lemon zest and juice, yoghurt and a beaten egg. These were mixed well and formed into four patties. They were placed in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes. It was only a matter then of frying them on both sides.

The couscous worked as a base and held up well. I served the patties with chickpeas and some greens on the side. Tamarind date chutney went well with the dish. Should I have couscous left over from any other cooking I think I will turn to this idea and turn them into patties.

Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment