Thursday 26 July 2012

Pappardelle con Funghi (Pappardelle with Mushrooms)


From Italian Food Safari, Maeve O-Meara with Guy Grossi, Hardie Grant Books, 2010.

I had read somewhere that real chefs prefer to make their pasta by hand rather than use a pasta machine as they claim to be able to distinguish a metallic taste from the machine. My palate is not anywhere near that good to be able to recognise such a subtle difference. However, I do find the claim somewhat specious as such a lot of kitchen equipment is metal you would think that all foods cooked would have a metallic taste. Nevertheless I decided that for the pappardelle I would I would not use the machine. I thought that my pasta was really thin when I rolled it out but when it was cooked it turned out to be not thin at all. Back to the machine next time.



I used the recipe from Italian Food Safari just as a basis to follow for I did not have the wild mushrooms that it needed. I had some button mushrooms to use up.

I fried chopped garlic, sage and marjoram in  a pan for a few minutes and then added the mushrooms and a sprinkling of salt to cook for a few minutes more.

The pasta was added to a pot of boiling salted water.

I now added some white wine to the mushrooms and continued to cook them to let the wine reduce. A nob of butter was added and when the seasoning was checked it was ready for the pasta. This was drained and added to the pan with a little of its water. And it was time to eat—with some Parmesan cheese grated over it.

Apart from the fact that my pappardelle was thick this was quick and easy to prepare and tasty. A good quick comfort dish.

Taste: ✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment