Monday 6 May 2013

Chinese-style Eggplant Salad


From Healthy Asian Vegetarian Dishes, Periplus Editions, 2003.

For this dish I took 2 Asian eggplants and dropped them into a pot of boiling salted water. After 8 minutes they were taken out and left to cool. I then cut them in half lengthwise and then into pieces of about 5cm.


While they had been cooking I had made a dressing to pour over them. I finely chopped one garlic clove (the recipe called for more) and mixed it with one teaspoon soy sauce, two teaspoons white vinegar, ½ teaspoon salt, one teaspoon sugar and a lot of freshly ground black pepper. I then beat in one tablespoon sesame oil until it was well incorporated. This was all poured over the cooked eggplant and some chopped coriander sprinkled over.

This was eaten warm like a warm salad and was an extremely tasty way to have eggplant. I would make this again as a side dish to Asian-style meals. It was well flavoured and juicy.

Taste: ✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment