Monday 6 May 2013

Oriental Green Beans


From Best-Ever Vegetable Cookbook, Hermes House, 2002. 

I was after a side dish of vegetables so settled for this bean dish despite my dislike of the term ‘oriental’.



I took a handful of green bean, topped and tailed them and put them in the steamer to cook for about 5 minutes.

While they were cooking I heated a little olive oil and a dash of sesame oil in a saucepan. I added a chopped garlic clove and sautéed it for a little longer. I then added a little chopped fresh ginger and some dark soy sauce. I kept stirring these until the beans were ready. The beans were taken out of the steamer, placed in a bowl and the sauce poured over.

The sauce was dark, almost black, and had a strong, almost bitter, taste to it though it did complement the beans quite well.

Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment