Monday 17 June 2013

Buttermilk Puddings with Nutmeg-Roasted Pears


From Spice Trip, Stevie Parle & Emma Grazette, Square Peg, 2012.
Having some buttermilk left over from making muffins and having just watched a TV program where buttermilk puddings were made (and having the book with the recipe) I decided it might just be time to make it. The recipe was for peaches but they are not in season so pears were to be the replacement.

I soaked 2 sheets gelatine in a some cold water while I brought 100ml of buttermilk to the boil and stirring in 50g sugar to dissolve. As soon as it boiled it was taken off the heat and the soaked gelatine stirred in. When the gelatine had dissolved the mixture was left to cool.
Meanwhile I measured out 250ml buttermilk and stirred 250ml cream into it. The cooled gelatine mix was now beaten into this until well mixed then poured into four small bowls and placed in the refrigerator to set. It needed about 3 hours.
For the fruit, I took 2 pears, peeled and cored them, and cut them lengthwise into 8 pieces. They were placed into a baking dish, drizzled with honey and dotted with pieces of butter. Nutmeg was grated over the pears. I was cautious with the amount of nutmeg because I always feel it can be overpowering. They were cooked in a 180ÂșC oven for 20 minutes. They were taken out and left to cool slightly.
At serving time some pear slices were placed on the bowls of pudding and the pear juices poured over. This had the rather pleasing effect of slightly melting the top of the puddings.
This was an enjoyable dessert. The puddings were not too sweet and had the slightest touch of sourness, rather like that of yoghurt, from the buttermilk. On top, the honey sweet sauce and the pears complemented the puddings perfectly. I think I had been a little too cautious with the nutmeg and could have doubled the amount I used. Next time, perhaps.
Taste: ✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment