Sunday 2 June 2013

Vegetable Briouat


From A Month in Marrakesh, Andy Harris, Hardie Grant Books, 2011.
Looking for a light supper-type meal I decided on making these briouats.

Firstly the vegetables had to be baked. The veges were all cut into smaller pieces and then placed in a baking dish. I used a tomato, 2 courgettes, a brown onion, ½ red capsicum, ½ green capsicum, a small eggplant and one garlic clove. They were seasoned and sprinkled with ½ tablespoon ras al hanout, a Moroccan spice. They went into a 170ÂșC oven for 1½ hours. After they had cooled they were cut into smaller pieces and mixed together in a bowl with the juice of ½ lemon and some chopped parsley. 

I took out eight sheets of filo pastry and cut them in half. Now using 4 of the sheets I formed a sausage by wrapping up ¼ of the vegetable mix. This made  a rather long sausage, giving me 4 of them of this size. I wouldn’t follow the directions so carefully next time but would cut the pastry differently and make 8 smaller ones that would be much easier to cook.

They were now fried in a little hot oil until browned on all sides. They were cut into smaller pieces because of their size. They were served with yoghurt and sambal oelek. I should have made some harissa but the chilli mix I already had.
I was quite happy with the results for these. The filling was gently spicy from the ras al hanout while the roasted vegetable mix was a tasty one. The yoghurt and chilli went well with it, indeed I think it was needed.

Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment