Sunday 9 June 2013

Tomato Soup with Noodles


From Pasta Dishes, Janet Hunt, Thorsons Publishers, 1982.
I’ll settle for a soup at any time and there’s always one made at least once a week.

For this soup I cut up 2 onions, 2 carrots and 3 tomatoes and placed them in a large saucepan with a little heated olive oil to sauté for about 5 minutes until they began to soften. A litre of water was now added with a stock cube and a little ground sage. This was simmered for half an hour and then seasoned with salt and pepper.
The soup was now pureed in the blender and returned to the saucepan. When it had heated up again noodles were added and cooked for another 10 minutes. The soup was quite thick when it had been pureed and I should at that time have reconsidered whether to add the noodles. I shouldn’t have. They made the soup thick and rather unappetising to look at.
When it was served I added a dollop of yoghurt. The soup was reasonable though not one I would make again. It seemed to definitely improve with the addition of the yoghurt.
Taste: ✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment