Friday 16 September 2011

Bondas


Bondas
from Gourmet Vegetarian, Jane Price, Murdoch Books, 2007.

When I read the instructions for these I thought that there was no way a batter was going to hold onto the potato balls. I was totally wrong.

The potato is diced and cooked then mixed, without mashing, into a spicy mixture: mustard seeds, curry leaves, ginger, turmeric, coriander and lemon juice. This is formed into balls and they are dipped in the batter and fried.



It’s a wonderful batter of three flours: besan, self-raising and rice. Chilli powder and turmeric are added plus water. It has a great texture and holds onto the potato balls when they are fried.



I loved these. The batter had a slight crunch and the potato was nicely spiced. Great when warm, but they also were quite good when cold the next day.

The book’s subtitle is ‘The vegetarian recipes you must have’. While I would not agree on a couple of other items I have made from the book, I would have to agree on this one.



Taste: ✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔ 

No comments:

Post a Comment