Saturday 23 March 2013

Strawberries in Red Wine Syrup with Rosewater Cream


From The Country Cookbook, Belinda Jeffery, Lantern, 2010.

I came across a person selling strawberries on the street today. They looked fresh and juicy and they were packed in 500g lots rather than in the piddling little punnets you find in the stores. So I went home with a pack of strawberries and consulted my Belinda Jeffery book to see what she suggested I do with them. I have always had success with her recipes and they are generally packed with flavour. This one was no exception.
Into a saucepan I placed 80g caster sugar, ¾ cup red wine, 50g strawberry jam, a cinnamon stick, some lemon zest and a little vanilla paste. This was brought to the boil then reduced to a simmer until it had reduced a little to become a syrupy texture. It came off the heat and was left to cool.
The strawberries were quite large so they were halved and placed in a small bowl with the cooled syrup for about half an hour. Meanwhile I beat about half a cup of cream with a little caster sugar, ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract and ½ teaspoon rosewater until it had formed into soft peaks.
Some cream was spooned into a serving glass, drained strawberries placed on top and then a little syrup poured over.
What a delicious way to eat strawberries this was. There’s still some left so I can’t wait until tomorrow evening when we can finish them off.
Taste: ✔✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment