Saturday 25 May 2013

Fonduta


From Easy Vegetarian, Ryland Peters & Small, 2007.
I have always ignored recipes for fondue because I dislike the equipment to keep the fondue warm. However, when I looked at this Italian equivalent it has a sauce that does not need to be kept warm as it is eaten.

I grated 250g Fontina cheese. I measured out 125ml milk. I took a little of the milk and mixed it with ¼ teaspoon cornflour. Now I put the milk, cornflour mixture and the grated cheese into a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. This was all stirred until the cheese had melted.

I now took a little of the cheese mixture and stirred it into two beaten egg yolks. The egg mixture was poured back into the cheese and stirring over heat continued until the mixture had thickened. It was now poured into a bowl for serving, white pepper was ground over it and a little truffle oil poured on top.
We used bread sticks to dip into the fonduta and enjoy the cheesy sauce. Enjoyable, though not overly special.

Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment