Saturday 18 May 2013

Sautéed Mixed Greens


From Vegetarian, Pippa Cuthbert & Lindsay Cameron Wilson, New Holland Publishers, 2010.
I had made rissoles from the night before’s risotto that had firmed sufficiently for me to just squeeze a handful together and form it into a patty shape. I wanted greens to go with them. I had English spinach and watercress in the refrigerator and needed a simple recipe to use them.

I cut the leaves from the spinach bunch and picked the leaves from the watercress. I chopped a red chilli and a garlic clove. I took a handful of sesame seeds and quickly roasted them in a frying pan. I put on a saucepan of salted water and, when it was boiling, tossed in the greens for a minute or two and then drained them.
I heated a little olive oil in a frying pan and threw in the garlic and chilli for a few seconds, then added the greens. I seasoned them while they were heating up in the oil. After a couple of minutes sautéing I sprinkled them with sesame seeds and they were ready to serve.
These greens were delicious done this way, so much so that it could become my standard method for serving greens.
Taste: ✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment