Thursday 30 May 2013

Sweet Potato and Parmesan Ravioli with Tomato and Basil Sauce


From Vegie Food: low-fat & delicious, The Australian Women’s Weekly, ACP Magazines, 2006.
As far as I am concerned, this is a cheat ravioli. It is not made from pasta but from wonton wrappers. But if your time short then it works quite well.

I boiled 250g of sweet potato (for two people) until it was soft. Then I mashed it and left it to cool. A tablespoon dried currants were added as well as a quantity of grated Parmesan cheese—about 2 tablespoons worth. I now left this covered until I had the sauce made.
I chopped an onion and added it to a saucepan to cook in a dessertspoon olive oil until it had softened. About 100ml white wine then went into the pot and was simmered until almost all gone. Meanwhile I had peeled two tomatoes, seeded and chopped them. These went into the saucepan with ¼ cup water and a corner of a stock cube. I let these simmer gently while I made the ravioli.

Ten wonton sheets were laid out and on the centre of each I placed about a tablespoon of the sweet potato mixture. I now lightly whisked an egg white and brushed the edges of the wonton sheets with it. Another wonton sheet was placed on top and the edges pressed down firmly to ensure that they stuck.
I brought a large pot of salted water to the boil and dropped the ravioli in a few at a time. Once the ravioli had come to the surface they were done so they were drained and went onto serving plates with tomato sauce poured over and a little chopped basil. To finish some grated Parmesan cheese was sprinkled on.
These were acceptable ravioli. It’s not the way I would generally make them but worth doing it so that the technique is known in case of wanting to prepare a hurried pasta meal. The filling was pleasant, not strongly flavoured, and enlivened with the occasional currant.
Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment