Thursday 27 June 2013

Egyptian Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Honey and Dukkah


Sometimes you are never sure what the source of a recipe is. They get passed on from one person to another and frequently get a little modified (muddled) in the passing on. Often these are the recipes that one treasures. This one I was assured was worth trying.

Some Brussels sprouts were washed and the ends cut into a cross shape. They then went into a baking dish with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. They went into a 200ÂȘC oven for 45 minutes. This seemed a long time to me but on the first try I always follow the recipe. They had blackened somewhat when I took them out—and I would have to say that I did lower the temperature towards the end of the cooking.

They were dribbled with honey and sprinkled with dukkah while they were still hot. The sprouts were then served on a base of hummus with more dukkah sprinkled over.

I’m a little unsure of this one. The flavour was good but the sprouts had collapsed inside to a sort of puree while the outside leaves were on the crispy side. I feel I would perhaps like to cook them for a lesser time and retain a little bit more body to them. They are certainly worth trying again.
Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment