Thursday 13 June 2013

Parsnip, Potato and Honey Mustard Mash


From A Passion for Potatoes, Paul Gayler, Kyle Cathie Ltd, 2009.
Browsing through a food shop I found some vegetarian sausages that I thought I’d like to try. Naturally, with sausages, I wanted to have a mash and this one seemed just right. 


I cooked parsnips and potatoes in the ratio of 2:1, parsnips to potatoes. I was only cooking for two so it was basically one large parsnip and a smaller potato. When they were just about cooked I drained them, then put them back in the saucepan with just sufficient milk to let them continue cooking. When they were nicely soft I added butter, a little yoghurt, a teaspoon honey and two teaspoons wholegrain mustard. They were then mashed and checked for seasoning.
This was such a good mash and the perfect foil for the sausages.  Parsnips have a natural sweetness to them and with the honey this was a sweeter mash, a little modified by the mustard. It seemed to go particularly well with the spiciness of the sausages. One to remember and repeat.

Taste: ✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment