Tuesday 23 July 2013

Warm Beetroot and Macadamia Salad


From Vegetarian Stir-Fries, The Australian Women’s Weekly, ACP Publishing, 2002.

A beetroot salad will always get my attention.


For this one I boiled the beetroot until they were done and left them in the pot of hot water while I prepared the remainder of the dish.

I sliced a leek finely. A good tablespoon of ghee was heated in a pan and the leek was added together with a handful of macadamias. These were stir-fried until the leeks were done and the macadamias had browned a little.


Now the beetroot were peeled and cut into quarters. They were added to the pan with a chopped garlic clove, ¼ cup raspberry vinegar (always good with beetroot) and about ¼ cup olive oil. These were stir-fried until heated. The heat was turned off and a handful of rocket leaves and a handful of baby spinach leaves were tossed through until they had wilted a little. The salad was now served.

There was meant to be goat cheese sprinkled over the salad but in my haste to have everything ready for dinner I forgot. It would have been a little better had I not neglected to add this but it was still a very acceptable dish. The sweetness of the beetroot went well with the bitter leaves and the crunch of the macadamias. The wonderful savoury flavour of the leek accompanied it all.

Taste: ✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment