Monday 12 August 2013

Fried Curried Rice


From Thai Vegetarian Cooking, Vatcharin Bhumichitr, Pavilion, 1991.
When there is cooked rice left over the most obvious thing to do is to make a fried rice. I varied from my usual mix to try out this different one.

I prepared all of the ingredients first. An onion and a potato were finely diced. A garlic clove was chopped. Half a cup of peas were measured out. I made a sauce mix of 3 tablespoons soy sauce, ½ teaspoon sugar, a teaspoon curry powder and ½ teaspoon white pepper. It was time to begin.

In a wok I heated about 2 tablespoons olive oil and fried the garlic for a minute watching carefully to see it did not burn. Two cups of boiled rice went in next and was stirred around to ensure that all the grains were separated. Now the rest of the ingredients went in and were cooked for a minute or two more. The rice was served with sliced cucumber.
This was an acceptable fried rice though I do prefer the one that was taught me. The curried one was quite subtle and seemed to lack a bit of bounce.  I think perhaps it needed something like a chutney to accompany it.
Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment