Sunday 18 August 2013

Tomato Crumble with Almonds


From Mini-Cocotte, Lissa Streeter, Le Creuset, 2011.
Tomatoes abound at the moment so it seemed a good time to make this dish.

I was making for two so took two punnets of cherry tomatoes, one per person, and took out the hard stalk end—a reasonably long process. I now sautéed a chopped clove of garlic in olive oil until it had softened, then added all of the tomatoes plus a stalk of thyme. I sprinkled on some salt, put on the lid and turned the heat down to low and left it for 15 minutes. The tomatoes had now split their skins. The heat was turned up a little and the cooking continued until almost all of the juice had gone.

The tomatoes were now put into the mini-cocottes. Though I followed the ingredient list I ended up with sufficient to fill three rather than two cocottes.
The crumble was now made. I rubbed together the ingredients (10g butter, 10g plain flour, 12g ground almonds, 25g almond slivers, a pinch of chilli flakes, and salt and pepper) until they had become a crumbly mixture. This went on top of the tomatoes and they were baked in the oven (200ºC) for about half an hour and they were ready to serve. We had them with broccolini on the side.
I must say this was somewhat disappointing. The crumble was crunchy and the tomatoes were soft and juicy but, all in all, it was a bit on the bland side. If I make this again I know I would play with the ingredients and there would be some additions made to add to its flavour.

Taste: ✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment