Saturday 28 December 2013

Suffolk Marys


From Peel Estate Branch, CWA, CWA Cookbook.
What do you do with a little left-over potato? I found this simple recipe in my old tattered copy of the CWA Cookbook and thought I’d give it a go.

I weighed the potato and found I had just under 2g. To this I added the equivalent measure of plain flour and of grated cheddar cheese. I stirred in a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard and 2 teaspoons of baking powder. When they were all well mixed I beat an egg and added most of it, leaving sufficient to brush on the surface later. The egg bound the mixture quite well. 


The dough was now rolled out to about 1cm thick and cut into rounds. These were brushed with the remaining beaten egg and went into a 200ÂșC oven for about 15 minutes at which time they were golden. They were let cool down somewhat and were then split open and eaten with butter.
These were a tasty variation on cheese straws. The potato added a softer texture to the middle letting it split open easily. The mustard flavour added that extra little bite to the cheesiness. Worth remembering to make again when there was some mashed potato left over.
Taste: ✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment