Saturday 2 July 2011

Miso Soup


Ginger Miso Noodle Soup
from Vegetarian Bible, Margaret Barca, Penguin Books, 2008.

Ginger, for me, is one of those ingredients that can easily be overdone. Frequently when I have used it following a recipe I have found it has been overpowering. So, now I tend to always use less than the specified amount. However, when I read through this recipe and found that it was used more as an infusion element I thought it would be worth giving it the full treatment.

I had not used this particular book before so took it cautiously. I’ve had some cookery books that cause no end of concern due to editorial errors or just bad recipes. A simple soup like this one seemed like a good starting point.



The book is a small one but packed with recipes and photographs. There is a small introduction explaining ‘vegetarian’ and giving some information on proteins and carbohydrates. At the back is a glossary of some of the more unusual ingredients. The recipes are clearly set out and easy to follow.



The soup was simplicity itself. The result was pleasing, a mild flavoured but satisfying dish. I think, though, that I would add a little more miso should I make it again.

Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment