Sunday 24 February 2013

Figs Stuffed with Blue Vein Cheese à la Bourguignonne


From Biró European-Inspired Cuisine, Marcel Biró and Shannon Kring Biró, Gibbs Smith Publisher, 2005.


Figs are such a wonderful fruit and I had six of them that were plump and heavily ripe. I had long looked at this recipe so thought this was now the opportunity to try it.

I cut the tops off the figs and with a small spoon dug out a little of the contents. Into the cavity I poked pieces of blue vein cheese. I melted some butter in a pan, placed the figs and their tops in and sprinkled over them about half a tablespoon of sugar. I cooked them for about 2 minutes, until the sugar had caramelised. I took the pan off the heat and added a tablespoon of water.

I now placed about a quarter cup of red wine in a small saucepan together with the insides of the figs that had been dug out. I added about half a tablespoon of port and then cooked the mixture until it had decreased by about half. Half a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar was added and the mixture was strained. A little salt was added and some freshly grated black pepper.

The oven had been preheated to 180ªC. The figs had their tops placed back on them. The strained liquid was now poured over and they went into the oven for about 5 minutes to warm through and let the cheese just begin to melt.

I love figs so much yet I did not enjoy this dish at all. The flavours did not sit well with my palate. It was difficult to discern the flavour of the figs through the red wine sauce and the blue vein cheese. The best part was the bottom end of each fig where you could distinguish the fig taste jut a little.

Taste:
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment