Wednesday 20 February 2013

Roasted Tomatoes with Parsley and Macadamia Pesto


From The Country Cookbook, Belinda Jeffery, Lantern, 2010.
It’s some time since I have cooked from this excellent book. This time I needed something tasty to go with some cheese sausages. These tomatoes seemed to fill the bill.
I cut some tomatoes in half and placed them on a baking tray. They had some olive oil dribbled over them, a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar, and they went into a 160ºC oven for an hour and a half until they had wrinkled.
In the meantime I made the pesto. I took a bunch of parsley bought from the store. It weighed 86g. This went into the blender with a garlic clove. It was all pulsed for a few seconds. I now added a good handful of roasted macadamias and a small teaspoon of salt. Again the mixture was pulsed. I now added extra virgin olive oil, about ¼ cup, and pulsed. The mixture was quite stiff at this time. In went juice of half a lemon, a good few squeezes from the mayonnaise container and some grated parmesan cheese. It tasted really good. I usually go for a basil pesto but this one had heaps of flavour.

When the tomatoes were done, some goat’s cheese was placed on top and they went back into the oven for a few minutes until the cheese had softened. They then came out and had a dollop of the pesto on top.
There was a lot of pesto left and some of the tomatoes so tonight I think I shall cut up the tomatoes and add them to the pesto. We’ll have pasta and pesto with a little salad.
Taste: ✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔



Addendum the next day: The pasta worked well with the pesto and the roasted tomatoes though I still prefer a pesto that is made with basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment