Sunday 29 April 2012

Savoury Potato Cakes


From The Vegan Diet, David Scott and Claire Golding, Rider & Company, 1985.

I’ve had this book on the shelf for many years and rarely used it. But it seems vegan is becoming much more prominent in the cooking scene. The number of vegan cookery books appear to be multiplying rapidly, whereas vegetarian ones are fairly static. So I thought I’d have a look at this book again. You never know; you often find surprises from the past.

The first thing I noticed was this recipe for potato cakes which I have always loved. Every time I find another recipe I have to make it to find if it matches or surpasses my favourites. This one didn’t.

To the grated potato was added grated onion and also some dried sage. As well there is a small amount of flour—in this case I used a little besan (chickpea) flour.

When they were fried the potato cakes didn’t crisp us which for me is one of the absolute musts. They remained a bit on the soggy side and this I attribute to the addition of flour. I wouldn’t make these again.

Taste:
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔

As some of these books may be out of print if anyone would like a particular recipe, email me (alfcooksvege@ozemail.com.au) and I’ll send an abbreviated version. Of course, the whole book would be better; it’s loaded with other goodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment