Thursday 19 April 2012

Spinach Rice (Spanakoriso)


From à la Grecque, Pam Talimanidis, Hardie Grant Books, 2009.

This was the tastiest dish I’ve had for a long time and one I must go back to to make again.  I must admit that I began it with hesitation because it sounded as though it wouldn’t really work but when you’ve used a book for a few times before with success then you are ready to trust it again.

All you do is wash a large amount of spinach and place it in a saucepan. Pour a little olive oil over it and place the lid on. You only need to cook it a short time until the spinach begins to wilt.



Now place the rice, about 100g, over the spinach, season it and place on the lid. Turn heat down to its lowest setting and cook for about 20 minutes, until the rice is cooked. I had doubts that there was enough liquid to cook the rice but I checked a couple of times and nothing was sticking and all was fine.


 When the rice was cooked it was served on a dish with a piece or two of feta cheese and a poached egg. Surprisingly delicious and definitely one to add to the repertoire.

Taste: ✔✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment