Tuesday 1 May 2012

Mozzarella and Grilled Chilli Salad


From The Return of the Naked Chef, Jamie Oliver, Michael Joseph, 2000.

I’ve completely lost my perspective on salads. I can no longer tell when a dish is a salad or not. Once I thought I knew what a salad was. It generally had greens with some other added items and was tossed in a dressing. It was cold. Now I see them warm rather than cold. I see them with no greens at all. Occasionally they are without a dressing. So what makes a salad? I no longer have any idea. But I still know when I enjoy one and this latest one I made from Jamie Oliver’s cookbook I know I thoroughly enjoyed.

It was simplicity itself. Some chillies were roasted in the flame of the gas stove until they had blackened. They were then placed in a plastic bag to steam until they had cooled. At this stage they were skinned and sliced into thin strips.

A buffalo mozzarella was then torn into pieces and placed on the serving plate. The chilli strips were scattered over the cheese pieces. Some basil leaves were torn up and also scattered over this. I added some olives. Salt and freshly ground black pepper went on top. It was then sprinkled with some lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil. I guess you would call these last two the dressing.



This was a heavenly salad: hot and creamy. Definitely a salad to make more often.

Taste: ✔✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment