Monday 25 November 2013

Banana and Ginger Muffins


From Muffins, Le Cordon Bleu, Murdoch Books, 1998.
I don’t often get the urge to bake cakes of any sort but when I do it generally turns out that I will make muffins.

For these I sifted 300g self-raising flour with a teaspoon of ground ginger. I mixed in 110g brown sugar and 70g chopped glacé ginger.
In a small bowl I melted 60g butter in the microwave oven. When it had melted, I stirred in 2 tablespoons honey.
I beat 2 eggs in 125ml milk in another bowl.

I mashed 2 bananas.
Now I mixed the butter and honey, eggs and milk and bananas into the flour. It was mixed in with a metal spoon until it was just combined and then spooned into greased muffin tins and baked in a 200ºC oven for 20 minutes.

A frosting was made by combining 125g cream cheese with 2 tablespoons sifted icing sugar and the grated rind of a lemon. These were beaten well and then spread on the cooled muffins. A slice of glacé ginger was placed on top.
A comforting muffin. The banana flavour was not too dominant but there in a subtle way, while the little bites of the glacé ginger added texture and morsels of sweetness.
Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔ 

No comments:

Post a Comment