Thursday 21 November 2013

Chinese Broccoli with Water Chestnuts and Fried Bean Curd


From Quick Vegetarian Dishes, Kurma Dasa, Chakra Press, 2000.
I felt that I needed a change from what I had recently been cooking and wanted something that was heavy on greens so changed to Asian with this simple dish.

To begin I put on a large pot of salted water and brought it to the boil. I cut a bunch of gai lan (Chinese broccoli) in half and placed it in the boiling water, the thick stems first and then the leaves to follow and left them for a couple of minutes to blanch. It all then went in a colander and cold water was poured over until the heat had left the vegetable.
The sauce was now made. A tablespoon each of vegetarian oyster sauce and soy sauce were mixed in a bowl with a good shake of ground white pepper, 2 teaspoons of sugar and ½ cup water with ½ stock cube. This mixture was left until required later.

The remaining vegetables were prepared. About 2cm fresh ginger was peeled and sliced very thinly. Half a cup of water chestnuts were also sliced. About 100g oyster mushrooms were torn carefully into slices where they were too large. Puffed bean curd blocks were cut into halves. I measured out ½ teaspoon asafoetida. Now the cooking could begin.
A little olive oil was heated in a wok and the ginger added for a few seconds. The water chestnuts now went in with the asafoetida and the mushrooms. They were given a couple of minutes before the sauce was added. This was given a few minutes before the bean curd and the gai lan went in. They were stirred to mix the ingredients before a lid was added for about 2 minutes more.
I should have given the gai lan a little bit longer, I think, or sliced the stems into halves as the stems were still a little tough—a pity as these can be the best part. Nevertheless I did enjoy this and should try it again and I might be more successful. I do like gai lan and generally have it when we go to the Green Gourmet. The mushrooms were not in the recipe but I had some so added them and they worked very well in it.
Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔ 

No comments:

Post a Comment