Thursday 14 November 2013

Hearty Winter-Vegetable Soup with Couscous


From Meals in Minutes: Vegetarian, The Australian Women’s Weekly, ACP Publishing, 2001.
I was in one of those too-lazy-to-cook moods where soup seemed to be the thing that would satisfy.

I chopped an onion and while it was cooking on a low heat I prepared the other ingredients. Two celery sticks were chopped as fine as I could and tipped in with the onions. I then added a chopped garlic clove and a teaspoon of paprika. These were all stirred and the cooking continued on low to soften the onion while the other vegetables were chopped: a parsnip, a potato and a carrot.
The chopped vegetables all went into the saucepan with about a cup of stock that I had left over. I then added water to about what seemed the best amount. I also added a vegetable stock cube. The soup was now simmered for about 15 minutes until all was cooked. It was tasted and salt and freshly ground black pepper added. 

Just before serving ¼ cup couscous was added with a couple of tablespoons od chopped parsley. It was given a couple of minutes for the couscous to cook and then dished up on serving plates.
This reminded me strongly of the soups that my grandmother used to make—minus the couscous, of course. Her soups usually included barley. With a salad this did the trick for my lazy mood.
Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔✔ 

No comments:

Post a Comment