Wednesday 6 November 2013

Mexican Breakfast Rolls


From Savoury Bites, Hollis Wilder, Stewart, Tabori & Chang, 2013.
I had some salsa and red kidney bean mix left over from making huevos rancheros. This seemed an ideal way to use them up.

I heated the oven up to 180ºC and took out a sheet of short pastry from the freezer. I also took out two frozen hash browns. These two went into a medium heat pan to fry on one side without turning until the underneath side was turning golden. The hash browns were sprinkled with chilli powder, salt and black pepper. They were turned and cooked until the other side was done. They were left to cool.

Now the sheet of pastry was sprinkled with chopped coriander, leaving a small edge all around. The leftover salsa/kidney bean mix was spread over this. Then I added the two hash browns that turned out to be just the right width placed side by side. Grated cheddar cheese was sprinkled over this and the pastry was rolled up as tightly as I could get it to go.

A six-cup muffin tin was sprayed with oil. The pastry roll was cut into six pieces. These were placed in the muffin tin with the cut sides up. They went into the oven for about 40 minutes. They were left to cool for a few minutes and then carefully taken out of the tin. There was an occasional one that left a little of its filling behind. This was easily scraped up and pressed back into the case.
This book looks as though it is going to prove itself very helpful. The savoury bites are such a good way to use up leftovers and with all of the ideas in the book I think it’s going to be used often.
I enjoyed these. The pastry had some crunch to it and, of course, the taste was all there, especially with the addition of the hash browns. I ate more than I feel I should have, but they were so good.
Taste: ✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔

No comments:

Post a Comment