Friday 11 November 2011

Cheesy Fritters


Cajun Mozzarella and Ricotta Fritters
from Pure Vegetarian, Paul Gayler, Kyle Cathie Limited, 2008.

When I read that this book had won a Gourmand World Cookbook Award I knew I had to give it a go. So far it has proved worth the money I spent on it. The recipes are not too difficult and there is sufficient variety to satisfy anyone be they vegetarian or carnivore.



The fritters sounded intriguing: fritters that were cajun flavoured and filled with cheese. They proved to be little taste treats.

Ricotta was flavoured with the spices and herbs and then had breadcrumbs added. This made a firm doughy mixture and I found that I had to add a slight amount of water to make it more malleable. The chopped up mozzarella was then added and the mixture rolled into ball shapes. I flattened them a little as I wanted to shallow fry them rather than deep-fry.



A dipping sauce was made (the Virgin Mary dip) from tomato sauce, Tabasco and creamed horseradish. The recipe called for Worcestershire sauce which I would not use because it generally contains anchovies as an ingredient. I used some soya sauce instead. The sauce was heavenly.

Before frying the fritters they had to be rolled in flour, then beaten egg and finally a mixture of breadcrumbs and semolina.



A great success. Crisp on the outside and cheesy chewy on the inside and highlighted with that savoury hot sauce.

Taste: ✔✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔✔ 

No comments:

Post a Comment