Thursday 5 June 2014

Fig & Blue Cheese Tarts

Figs.

Blue Cheese.

Walnuts.

Honey.

Perfect Combination. And these are so easy to make.

I took 2 sheets of puff pastry from the freezer and while they were defrosting crumbed 150g blue cheese, took out a jar of fig jam (figs are out of season), roughly chopped about 3/4 cup walnuts and drizzled them with 3 tablespoons honey. The oven was turned on to 200ÂșC. I greased a 12-well muffin tin.

By now the puff pastry was ready. I cut it across into 3, then turned it the other way to cut across into 3 again. This left 9 pieces. I did the same with the other sheet of pastry. I now had 12 pieces for the muffin tin and 6 left over.

Each piece of pastry was now stretched carefully in both directions and fitted into a well of the tin. Into each I placed the crumbled blue cheese sharing it over the 12. On top of this went a good dob of fig jam. The honeyed walnuts were then placed on the top. The tarts went into the oven to cook for about 15 minutes. They were now golden and bubbling.

When they were taken out I left them for about 10 minutes and then carefully lifted them out by the corners that stuck up.

They were richly sweet. Probably with fresh figs they would be less sweet but the sweetness was wonderful with the musky tang of the cheese and the crunchy bitterness of the walnuts. I ate three of them straight off.

Taste: 
Ease of cooking: 

No comments:

Post a Comment