Monday 2 June 2014

Millet and Vegetable Patties

It's some time since I've been able to work on my blog so apologies for the delay. It took a little time to work my way back into it but I think I've sorted things out so here we go.

I decided on making these patties (the recipe called for croquettes but mine turned out flat so I decided they're patties) because I had never cooked with millet before. I always like to work with something different to see how things turn out.

I measured out 115g millet and put it in a saucepan with 300ml water. The amount of water gave me some doubt that it would be enough but I went with the instructions. It turned out that I was right: more water needed to be added as the cooking progressed. I kept needing to add small amounts throughout the cooking process.

There was no indication as to how long the millet was to be cooked but that the process should continue until it had a thick, porridge-like consistency. I guess it took about 45 minutes in all. This was now left to cool.

About 3/4 cup of cooked vegetables were then added. I used frozen peas and corn and some French beans cut into corn-like pieces. Any vegetables could be used so it is a useful way of using up leftovers.

I added a tablespoon light soy sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Flour was then added and stirred in until it reached a suitable consistency. The recipe called for 55g but I just added flour a little at a time until I felt comfortable with the result. It was then left until I was ready to fry the patties.

It was a bit of a surprise when I went to form the mixture into patties because it had become looser and a little wetter than when I left it. I had expected that the grain would absorb more moisture as it rested. So I had to add a little more flour before proceeding. It was still rather loose and a bit on the messy side when I tried to form them and dip them in flour. I had grave doubts about whether this would all hold together it the pan.

Despite my concerns the patties fried up well. They were an average dish that went reasonably with some side dishes of vegetables. I may make them again depending upon leftovers but I think I have better recipes available.


Taste: ✔✔✔
Ease of cooking: ✔✔✔



No comments:

Post a Comment